HPS Enrichment Program
To further display HBGC alignment with the HPS, in April 2015 the Massachusetts Board of Elementary and Secondary Education placed the system under receivership due to academic and attendance concerns. HBGC and Kelly School immediately responded by securing a 21st Century Learning Grant to faciliate a weekly 3-hour Enrichment Program scheduled as part of the regular school day.
The Club offers creative and innovative programs that:
- builds skills towards mastery and provides opportunities to demonstrate knowledge and skills;
- reflects the ethnic/cultural background of youth;
- connects to outcomes selected through the Survey of Academic & Youth Outcomes (SAYO), including programming provided by partners/contractors;
- is interdisciplinary/cross curricular;
- includes high quality project based learning (including service learning) opportunities that connect to academic content, student interest, and support youth voice and leadership opportunities;
- creates an environment that provides opportunities for youth to make decisions and choices about the process and product or to shape activities to reflect their own interests, ideas, and preferences;
- contributes to students’ social and emotional learning competencies and reflects a variety of learning needs and styles;
The goal of our collective efforts to improve academic outcomes, reduce chronic absenteeism, build strong meaningful relationships with youth, and an increase our engagement with families. While youth are participating in Enrichment Programs at the Club, HPS is able to dedicate more time to teacher and adminstration professional development trainings.
Examples of enrichment activities include, but are not limited to, nutrition and cooking, STEM and technology activities, non-contact boxing, basketball skills and drills, and swimming. Below highlights the grades we will serve with Enrichment Programs for Kelly School students:
- 2rd Grade: Tuesday's from 1pm - 3pm
- 3th Grade: Wednesday's from 1pm - 3pm
- 4th Grade: Thursday's from 1pm - 3pm
- 5th Grade: Friday's from 1pm - 3pm